1838 - 1842
Rev. John McFarland
Donegal) was ordained as minister in the newly formed Congregation on
26th June 1838 in Rev G T Ewing's Meeting House, Fountain Street and
he ceased to be minister on 7th December 1842.
1843 - 1849
Marcus Dill Reid, M.A.
On 2nd May 1843, the Rev.
Marcus Dill Reid was installed. Mr. Reid, a former Licentiate of the
Limavady Presbytery, had been minister of Ballysillan since 1839. He
died on 2nd August 1849.
1850 - 1894
Robert Ross, D.D.
It was only during
the much longer ministry of the Rev Robert Ross, (a Licentiate of the
Glendermott Presbytery, ordained on 29th March 1850) that the
Congregation began to thrive. Under his ministry the Congregation
increased to such an extent that the Church Building became too
small. A new Church was built in Carlisle Road (opened 23rd March
1879) and the Halls were added a few years later. Rev Ross was called
to the Chair of the General Assembly in 1888 and awarded a D.D. in
the same year. He died after a long and fruitful ministry of over 44
years on 1st July 1894. Mr Ross's son, The
Rt. Hon. Sir John Ross was M.P. for the City, Judge of the High
Court (Chancery Division) and Lord Chancellor of Ireland. His
grandson Sir Ronald
Ross, K.C., M.C, M.P., was Recorder of Sunderland.
1895 - 1919
Huey, M.A., B.D.
Rev. John Huey was
installed on 6th March 1895. Born in 1844, he came from Knockahollet
in the Route Presbytery and was said to be a gifted student. He was
licensed by the Presbytery of Route in 1871 and was ordained as the
minister of Buckna Congregation on 17th March 1874 where he remained
until 1886 when he received a call to England where he went to serve
as minister of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manchester. He had the
reputation of being a great orator and preacher, delivering his
sermons without notes or manuscript. He also made a significant
contribution to the life of the town whilst in Londonderry.
He retired from
the active ministry in 1919 and died on 22nd July 1928 in the 85th
year of his age.
1919 - 1927
On 1st October
1919 the Rev David Hay was installed, having been minister of
Donemana since 1907. After labouring faithfully for over 8 years Mr
Hay accepted a call to 1st Lisburn on 15th December 1927. Thereafter,
he was awarded a D.D. by the Presbyterian Theological Faculty,
Ireland in 1949, and was nominated Moderator Designate of the General
Assembly, but owing to ill-health he had to decline the honour. He
died on 17th March 1953.
1928 - 1956
Samuel McVicker, B.A.
On 27th February
1928, the Rev Samuel McVicker (of 2nd Killyleagh, Co Down) was installed.
Mr McVicker was a well loved pastor of the people and he served them
for over 28 years, retiring from the active ministry on 28th July
1956. In his younger days he was a well-known sportsman, representing
his country in hockey and rugby. He died on 23rd July 1972. In the
latter years of his ministry the Congregation appointed two
assistants, Mr John Girvan followed by Mr Joseph Dallas.
1956 - 1964
Rev John Girvan
(Licentiate Comber) was ordained and installed
on 28th November 1956. He had been for 4½ years with the Belfast
City Mission before studying for the ministry and he continued the
warm evangelical ministry of his predecessors and also saw an
extensive renovation of the church property carried out before he was
called to Bethany Church, Belfast. He resigned
from Carlisle Road on 29th July 1964. Rev Girvan was later to attain
the highest office in the Presbyterian Church by being elected
Moderator of the General Assembly. He died, in his 86th year, on 21st
1965 - 1997
Richard C. Graham, M.A.
Rev Richard Graham
on 11th February 1965 after being unanimously called by the
Congregation from Orritor and Claggan where he had ministered for
over 6 years. Much of his 32 year ministry in Carlisle Road was
during the difficult period of Irish terrorism which saw the
migration of the Protestant population from the West bank of the City
to other areas. His deep conviction of the providence of God enabled
the Congregation to maintain and advance the work and witness despite
the depletion of the membership. During his ministry the Memorial
Organ was re-built in 1977. When he came to Londonderry the
Congregation was much in debt and upon his retirement the Church,
Halls and Manse had been completely restored, totally free of debt.
He also served as Clerk of the Presbytery of Derry (later to be
amalgamated with the Presbytery of Strabane to become an enlarged
Presbytery of Derry and Strabane) from 1973 until his retirement from
the active ministry on 28th February 1997. His son Ker, was ordained
and installed to 1st Castlederg and Killeter in 1998. He died on 11th
May 2000 at the age of 68, after a long illness, bravely borne. A
Service of Thanksgiving for his life was held in the Church on 15th
to Rev Graham preaching
1998 - 2000
Craig Teeney, B.Sc., B.Th.
Rev Craig Teeney
was installed on 1st May 1998 after
serving his assistantship in Carnmoney. Prior to entering the
Christian Ministry, Mr Teeney worked in the famous Belfast shipyard
of Harland & Wolff. His short ministry, of just over 2
years, ended on 31 July 2000 when he was unable to continue to
discharge his duties fully due to poor health. He re-located to
Ballyclare with his wife Caroline and three young children.
Rev. Dr. T
Robert Buick, B.Sc.,
Rev Robert Buick
on 4th July 2002 having been unanimously called by the congregation
from the three-point charge of Albany, Brigh and 1st Stewartstown in
Co Tyrone, where he had served for a period of 11 years. Prior
to entering into training for the Ministry in 1986, Dr. Buick was
engaged in engineering research and development in both the academic
and commercial fields. He is also Convener of the University
Education Committee. Married to Heather, he has two children, Alison
and Aaron. <photos>.
In 2010 he successfully oversaw the amalgamation of Strand &
Buncrana Congregations with Carlisle Road. He served as Clerk of the
Presbytery of Derry and Donegal from 2012. Under his Ministry the
Church Halls were completely renovated and the roof re-slated. He
introduced a number of innovations such as the Children's Holiday
Bible Club and the Annual Holy Week mid-day services as an
outreach to the local community. A
Retirement Presentation Evening was held on 4th July 2018. Rev
Buick conducted his Closing
Service on 8 July 2018 prior to retirement on 31st July 2018
Rev Ross Kernohan
on 13th December 2019
after having recently served as Pastor of Kampala International
Church, Bugolobi in Uganda. Mr Kernohan grew up within Kells
Presbyterian Church and attended Antrim Grammar School. He went
on to study Computing Sciences at University of Ulster in Coleraine
and worked in that area with Child Evangelism Fellowship and
Samaritans Purse, before becoming a Youth Minister in the Church of
Scotland. Afterwards, Mr Kernohan went to Switzerland to work with a
Christian humanitarian aid organisation called Medair. While there he
met his German wife, Fanny, who was also working with the
organisation. They have three children, 8-year-old Benjamin,
6-year-old Jacob and 4-year-old Gabi